Saturday, April 28, 2012

Summer Sun Jars

Summer is coming and I'm ready to be outside. I saw these mason jar solar lights on etsy almost a year ago and have wanted to try making it myself. I read on different blogs about tinting the jars with a product called Mod Podge. I have been waiting to try this out and finally found the time. This is the right time, not only because I wrote my last exam of the semester this afternoon(!!!), but the solar garden lights were on sale at Canadian Tire for a dollar each. I found outdoor Mod Podge at Michaels and I already had a bunch of jars that I have been saving.


The first method I tried was The Hand me Down House blog. It was really easy, added food colour and painted it on. The solar lights I found the light part just screwed off. It had the light sticking out the bottom, so Hubby drilled a little hole and I just set them inside.
I added a bit of texture and they look really nice. Unfortunately, Canadian weather came, it snowed a day or so later after this. I am not sure why, but the colour came off a bunch. I don't if it was not completley dry or if it doesn't withstand our weather well.
With a little more garden research I found another method here This included pouring it inside and baking it in the oven on very low for a bit. I didn't let mine drip out and got a bit of a puddle on the bottom. I think it looks pretty cool though.


The darkest one just had thicker Mod Podge. I think this will work, being protected from our crazy weather. I didn't have 3 identical jars, so I just randomly picked a few from the cupboard. I think it looks better this way.


It glows Blue!! I have them sitting outside on my table as a centerpeice now, but they would look cool randomly around your garden or as a path to your house in the front!

Overall, I recycled the jars (FREE), bought garden lights for $1 each on sale and bought a jar of Mod Podge ($7) and used about a third. They were also super easy and quick.

Can't wait to do more summer crafts!!!

1 comment:

Thanks for the feedback!!!

-Sara