Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Thinking Back - Baby's First Birthday!

My little dude's 2nd birthday is coming up and it has me reflecting on his first. I was quite (overly?) ambitious for little dudes first birthday. But, it is a big event. It means we managed to keep him alive for an entire year and we are still somewhat sane.

I had been wanting to try making a fondant cake since cake shows started appearing all over TV. My little dude's first birthday seemed like the perfect event. As he was a cow for his first Halloween, I decided to carry that theme through and do a barnyard theme for his first birthday. I had also had a book for a long time showing me how to make cute little animals that I really wanted to try out. I searched the internet for inspiration and found quite a few ideas. I showed Hubby, who said I should do whatever I like, but he wasn't interested in helping me.

I went to look at buying fondant and found that it was ridiculously expensive to purchase ready made. So, I thought I could make my own. A search on the internet brought up marshmallow fondant and many reviews said it tasted great. I then had to decide what type of cake and buttercream to make. I tried to figure out what went with marshmallows and I obviously landed on chocolate and graham cracker... a s'mores cake! For the graham cracker cake I started with a vanilla box cake (I know, I know, I'm a terrible person) and added a few ingrediants. I found a  recipe for chocolate buttercream, which turned out to be really simple and tasted like heaven.

I started assembling the cakes the day before. Getting the buttercream on smooth was not as easy as Cake Boss made it look like. I struggled for a bit, until Hubby came to check out the progress. He gave me suggestions and promotly took over. He is a perfectionist and made it look perfect. We did the fondant together. I had made it at my mom's the day before, because she has a bix mixer and making the fondant would have been almost impossible without it. The only thing I should have done differently was mix the main colour into the fondant with the mixer, because doing it by hand was A LOT of work!

I shaped the little animals and built the barn out of Rice Crispie treats, while Hubby covered the cake and made the fence. It was much more work than anticpated and took us into the early morning. After a few hours of sleep we got up for the big day. It looked nice, but I had seen on Cake Boss that they always steam their cakes to make them look shiny. We don't have a steamer sitting around, so Hubby suggested we use the iron... It seemed like a risky idea to me. I was terrified that we would either melt the cake. In the end he did it anyways and it looked awesome.

Here is the finished product... What do you think?


Of course, for a first birthday you also need a smash cake. I am too cheep to buy a small cake pan, so I bought a little metal bowl from the dollar store, greased it really well and made a tiny version of the cake in it. I covered it with fondant and gave it a cow pattern. It was really quick.

I really enjoyed the process. Hubby says he is never doing it again...


That was last years project and we are quickly approaching Little Dude's second birthday. It happens to fall on mother's day and I have a ton of ideas up my sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback!!!

-Sara